Sunday, January 9, 2011

Back in the Swing of Things!

I hope everyone had a great first week back after break! I know Monday was a little crazy for my class, but surprisingly we had a great week in room 102. I got some great advice from my aunt, a retired, veteran teacher last Sunday night. She reminded me to plan lessons that would ensure success for every child.

I immediately went back to my plans, which I thought were done, and realized my mistake. I thought we would go back on Monday and jump right back into the swing of things. However, when I started thinking about it, I realized that most of my students probably had very little structure over winter break and so coming back to a strict schedule with high expectations might be too shocking to their little systems. So, I treated Monday like a second, first day of school. We went back over class rules and I even re-taught some procedures. This worked great and every day I added a little more rigor to my lessons, so by Friday we were up and running at full force.

I am hoping to post some pictures of some of things that I have found work well in my classroom soon.  I hope that writing this blog will not only help me be a reflective teacher and thus a stronger teacher, but also share some of my learning experiences and achievements with other new teachers.

I have found such inspiration in reading other teacher's blogs. I am so glad I found this community of bloggers and can't wait to share my own ideas as a newer teacher.

No comments: