Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome to my Blog!

In an effort to be a more reflective practitioner, I have decided to start 2011 off by keeping a record of my  thoughts and conclusions from Room 102. As a newer teacher, I have struggled with balancing all the responsibilities of being a teacher and finding a way to have the greatest impact on my students with limited resources.

I recently had coffee with a friend, who is in her first year of teaching. She asked me if I have a better handle on the demands of being a teacher now that I am in my third year of teaching. My gut reaction was, "No way!"  But then when my friend asked me specifically for one area where I feel I have improved from last year, I found I was actually able to list several facets of my instruction and classroom management that I know I changed for the better after my first year of teaching.

So, I suppose I am making baby steps and even though I feel like there are not enough hours in the day to plan everything with the detail and organization I would like, my reflections are doing some good. I chose to share these thoughts with the hope that some first year teacher will find comfort in the fact that they are not alone in their frustrations. And no matter what kind of school setting, or how challenging your position is,  it is possible to have high expectations and experience the amazing feeling of knowing your children have made progress because of your efforts.

Now, off to work on my plans for January!

No comments: