Saturday, January 14, 2012

Strega Nona Unit


This past week our comprehension strategy was retelling so we chose Tomie DePaola's Strega Nona stories. My class LOVED them. It was one of those units where they were on the edge of their seat during every story. Perfect! Here are some of the anchor charts and comprehension activities that we did throughout the week:


Day 1: Today we read Strega Nona and discussed how to retell a story telling only the most important ideas. I introduced the words first, then, next, and last as ways to anchor our retelling. We also completed this lesson as a shared writing activity. By having four separate sentence strips the students understood that we could only tell so much of the story (aka the important parts). They were so into the story they wanted to tell it all! Then I put the strips in one of our literacy work stations and let the students practice retelling the story to each other. Next year I want to make some kind of printable to hold them accountable for their retelling work.

Day 2: We reviewed Strega Nona and made this story map.
                                                                                                                                                                     

Day 3-5: We spent the rest of the week reading the rest of the Strega stories {Strega Nona Meets Her Match, Big Anthony & The Magic Ring}. I decided I need to do more reader's response activities, so I handed out sticky notes and had students break up into groups based on which book they liked the best. Then they wrote why they liked that book on the sticky note. Easy!


"I like when Strega Nona meets her match and when {Strega Amelia} steals her customers."


This last picture has nothing to do with Strega Nona...it's just one of those moments I had to capture. We had just finished reading a big book on animal habitats. While the rest of the class was eating snack these students stole away to check out the pictures they were so curious about. I couldn't even get mad at them about not asking because it was just what every teacher wants to see!


1 comment:

Lisa Lizak and Beth Wright said...

I love Strega Nona! Your activities are so cute and creative :) I can't wait to come back and read more great posts :) Have a happy rest of your weekend!

Lisa :)
Made In The Shade In Second Grade