Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Snow Day Realization

I'm sure there are lots of other people out there who read Babbling Abby or her teaching blog, The Inspired Apple. If not, you should. I have been following Abby for a few years now and she is not only an incredibly creative teacher, but also an awesome mommy. She's shared her story of trying to have her second child and the adoption process that came next. Anyways, I was reading her blog this morning and something really resonated with me so I thought I would share it here. It's a simple realization, but a powerful one that I'm sure most mothers have had.

Over the past few months of becoming a mommy and all the adjustments it has brought, I'm torn between being the best mom and a great teacher. Both come so naturally to me - and I'm thankful for that. But I've realized that being mommy is my number one job right now. Someone commented on Abby's blog that the "teachery" stuff will always be there, but these times with your baby go by so fast. I don't want to look back and remember trying to choose between report cards and other teachery things or playing with my baby on a snow day. Everyone keeps telling me to enjoy this time with N because it goes by so fast so I'm okay if this blog doesn't get updated as frequently (or at all). I'm going to focus on work when I'm at work and leave it there when I come home for the day. Teaching and whatever career step comes next will always be there.

As teachers we have the luxury of holidays, summers, awesome hours, and snow days! Before baby I would have used this time without students to get ahead ... now I find myself taking it one day at a time and using the extra hours to be with N. My perspective and priorities are completely different and I'm okay with it. Accepting this change has taken that burden of "I should be doing something for school" off my shoulders and allowed me to be present with my time at home. It feels good to know that's it okay to just focus on being mommy - my most important job!


No comments: