Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Debbie Diller's Math Stations Blog Party


I was so excited to come across the blog party about Debbie Diller's new book on math stations. As we wind down and come to the end of this school year, I am ready to purge and organize. I have tried out a few new ideas (i.e. a new way of organizing my magnetic word wall so it is more accessible), and I think this is a great time to think about how I want to organize my math stations next year.

I am definitely going to keep my system of managing math stations. This worked great; however I may add some pictures to the numbers so that students have a clearer idea of which concept they are working on at each station.  I also found that I can have no more than 2-3 students per station.

I can't wait to start organizing manipulatives and mapping out a better way to allow students to have some freedom in what they are working on in math stations.

Tomorrow I will take pictures of our duckling unit...complete with baby ducklings! This week we are working on reading and comparing The Little Red Hen stories. Hopefully I will have some printables and pictures to share soon!

7 comments:

vgw said...

Would you be willing to share your numbers for your math stations - as posted in management chart? Are these numbers also on the containers as well as where the students go to work on them? When do students work with you? Sorry for so many questions, I too am just trying to figure this all out. Virginia

Kate said...

Virginia - Thanks for asking for the numbers. I posted them this morning. I am going to write a more detailed post on how I actually run math stations this afternoon! Check back : )

Jamie Woodward said...

Thank you for sharing your rotation chart! Do you rotate daily or do the students stay with those stations for the week?

Thank you!!

Kate said...

Jamie, We rotate daily. So each group of students goes to 2 stations a day. I do my whole group lesson for about 15-20 minutes, and then we spend 15 minutes in each station, which allows me to work with small groups for a total of 30 minutes.

Jamie Woodward said...

Excellent, thank you...I'm just beginning to read Debbie Diller's Math Stations. I'm loving all the ideas out there right now, thanks again!!

amclaughlin86 said...

Hi,
I'm teaching full time this year,my first LTO, but I'm only teaching grade 1 for the afternoons (math, science an gym). A fellow teacher suggested this book, but I'm just wondering what you do for each of your centres?

Kate said...

A McLaughlin: Sorry to take so long to respond. Check out my most current blog post for ideas on what I do in each station. I just name my stations 1-8 and then change out the activity based on what I'm doing.